Working within the Richmond Hill Youth Hub; a one-stop, full service centre for at-risk youth; the Kitchen Helper will assist the Food Services Coordinator in the preparation and cooking a variety of nutritious and healthy meals, assist with service of the meals and daily clean-up of kitchen and eating area.
Direct responsibilities include:
- Set-up and break down of work station(s).
- Prepare basic ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
- Prepare and cook of food according to recipes, quality standards, and presentation standards establishing priority items.
- Operate ovens, stoves, grills and fryers to prepare foods.
- Ensure quality and presentation standards while maintaining a clean and sanitary work environment.
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to youth is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing a hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food and safety and handling policies and procedures.
- Ensure the quality of the food items and notify Food Services Coordinator if the product does not meet specifications.
- Assist in monitoring the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
- Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served according to standards.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, stove tops, shelves, tools, knives, and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
- Interact with staff and youth at the HUB, be a positive role model and promote a positive environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS OR SKILLS REQUIRED:
One (1) year related work experience or in progress of culinary apprenticeship or the equivalent combination of education and experience, safe food handling certification.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Ability to make decisions and work independently, reliable, time management and organization skills.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills that promote positive team building, negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification, current vulnerable sector screening (criminal background check).
- Candidates must be flexible to work evening shifts.
Closing Date: May 6, 2019