Specialized Training for Employment Program
Specialized Training for Employment Program (STEP)
STEP provides employment training and supports to youth with barriers and self-identify specifically with mental health challenges.
Through counselling, one-on-one job coaching and paid work placement opportunities, STEP has the potential to make a lasting impact towards sustainable employment for youth.
We meet youth at their level of employment readiness and work alongside them in achieving goals based on their individual needs and abilities. We guide participants through employment certifications (Smart Serve, WHMIS, Food Handlers, First Aid/CPR, Cannsell) and provide training and skills development in topics such as budgeting, stress management, interpersonal communication, and conflict resolution. While youth are in their employment placements, we are committed to offer ongoing job skills coaching in overcoming challenges in retaining long- term meaningful employment.
Participants in STEP must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Self- identify with mental health challenges
- Be between the ages of 15-30 and living in York Region
- Currently unemployed/under-employed and not attending full-time school
- Able to attend pre-employment sessions in-person and virtually
- A valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) and legally eligible to work in Canada